Sunday, April 5, 2009

Keeping the Right Perspective




The other day my teenager was complaining about how we never get to do anything and how deprived we are. And it got me thinking, are we? My list of "wants" is a long one, but am I deprived? I should say not. We have a home to live in that is clean, safe and comfortable. We have never had to go hungry. The Lord has always stepped in and given us what we need. I have been given an abundance of blessing throughout my life.

But the biggest wealth in my life is my family. I get to be a mom of six children. Would I trade that for an extra car or a yearly vacation? Never. There is not one thing I could buy that would make me happier than when I hear one of my children giggle or see them smile. There is no material thing that has given me the fulfillment and satisfaction I get when I see one of my children overcome a trial or succeed in school or develop a talent.

I am rich. When I go from this earth I will have an endless supply of memories. I am grateful for the riches in my life. As hard times fall upon us I find myself on my knees thanking my Heavenly Father for the blessings that sometimes I have taken for granted. Prayers of wanting a better paying job have turned into a prayer of thanks that Steve has a job. Pangs of envy for a bigger more beautiful home have turned to prayers of thanks that we have a home that we can afford. I am very rich. (Photo: This is an old photo. In fact I was six months pregnant with Elijah and we are missing Emily in the shot. Not to mention we added our cousin Ali. So as soon as I can get a better photo I will post it)

3 comments:

  1. Amy - This is such a nice post! I know that I need to be reminded of all the blessings I have, rather than wishing for all the things I want. You are an amazing Mom and such an example to me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great attitude, I think most of us need a dose of the right perspective :-)

    ReplyDelete