Saturday, March 28, 2009

Yes I was the Guinea Pig....


A food co-op what's that? My friend told me about it. It is a large group of people who have gotten together to order food from distributors in large quantities so you can get a discount on groceries. I love a good bargain so I went to their website http://www.crossroads-u-c.org/cfc/. I asked my mom and husband about it they had heard of it too. But no one had ever tried it. Hmmm, well there is always the first time and I was willing to be the guinea pig. A share of food was only 23.00 so we ordered two shares since we have a big family. So we got the food, and the big question is, was it a great bargain? No in my opinion I don't think it was.

When you order a share you know what meat you will be getting. And they tell you a quantity of fruits and vegetables but not what they will be. If you like an element of surprise when you shop then this is for you. I took a picture of what I got in one share. Maybe some of you use a lot of lemons when you cook. Or perhaps a nice lemon makes a good snack (just kidding) but we rarely use them. And now I have to plan some meals so I can use up my 12 lemons. And I am not a big fan of tomatoes but I now am the owner of 12 beautiful tomatoes.

And the meat... on the order form it sounded like a good quantity but when I got it, my first thought was, that's it? Maybe my husband only picked up half the order because the meat packages seemed little .The other problem to with the meat is we are cutting back on our red meats and trying to eat more poultry and fish. Both of which were not on the menu (except you did get a couple pounds of chicken legs and thighs). I mean what am I going to do with chicken legs and thighs? I have become pampered and prefer the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. With my price matching and frugal shopping I have come to the conclusion that I won't be using the food co-op again. But apparently this co-op works for a lot of people. When Steve picked up our order he said the line was really, really long. And people had lots of shares they purchased. So it must be working.

4 comments:

  1. I am like you, in so many ways. I like to plan my meals way in advance and then shop for the good deals or buy lots of something for a good deal and use it later. It would be really hard to plan a menu if you have no idea what kind of produce you will end up with. But at least now you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the guinea pig - You are such a sport! Now I know that this is probably something I won't be doing. By the way - I do have a yummy frozen lemon dessert recipe - I will have to get it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had made another comment on this post - anyway, I love the new look - the flowers are darling on the side! Hope you have figured out what to do with those lemons!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that didn't work out for you. That's too bad. Hey, I'll take some lemons if you like.

    ReplyDelete