Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sweet Sixteen


Emily turned sixteen in June. Can you believe it? I can't. I am just too young to be raising teenagers. Emily spent her "real" birthday with her mom. So we celebrated her birthday on an "unofficial" day.

We tried to celebrate her birthday the day after her official birthday but it was a big flop. It was rainy, we went yard sale shopping way too long and she tried to birthday shop at Jordan Landing but couldn't find anything she liked. We knew the day was a bust.

You only turn sixteen once so we had to do it right. So a few days later Steve got off work early and took Emily to Mimi's Cafe for lunch. After that the family went bowling. And for dinner we had one of her favorite's, Hawaiian Haystacks. The day seemed a lot better.

Heavenly Father sure knew what he was doing to have Emily be the oldest. She gets tired of our lectures and constant worry but over-all she just does things right. When we ask Emily to do something we know she will do it. She is boy crazy and definitely silly but she sticks to her standards and beliefs.

One thing that really impressed me is a boy asked Emily out on a date for Sunday. She was at her mom's when the boy called. Even though she could have easily gone out with him, she turned him down because it was on Sunday. How awesome is that? She is always doing what's right even when we're not there.

Emily really has a testimony of the gospel. She is being raised by our family and her mom and both are completely different lifestyles. Emily chooses to follow the gospel.

I am blessed to be her mom and I love her. I think she is a kind and loving person. I am very fortunate to have such an easy-going, like-able and just all-around great daughter. Although she is my step-daughter, I certainly don't think of her that way. She is my daughter and I am so happy to have her in our family.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday indeed! So, when do you get to drive the car? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe she is 16 already!! What sweet parents to "re-do" a birhtday, to make it better for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to have her in laurels! She is a great girl!

    ReplyDelete